Best Fish 'n' Chips
Many of us have grown up with the Friday night tradition of fish and chips, and while our takeaway choices these days are much more varied, there is still something wonderful about that steaming hot newspaper package.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|10 cm||Rice bran oil|
|600 g||White fish|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 tbsp||Wholegrain mustard|
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Peel potatoes (or just scrub) and cut into 2cm-thick sticks. Dry well with a clean tea towel or paper towels.
- Pour enough oil into a large, deep saucepan to deep-fry but take care that it won't boil over, Heat oil until a small piece of bread instantly sizzles and changes colour when added.
- Cook chips in batches until golden, drain well, then place on a single layer on a baking tray and transfer to the oven.
- Trim fish fillets into single pieces. Dust fillets with flour(sifted).
- Place flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add mustard and enough lager to make a thick batter. You will end up with a small amount of beer left over in the bottle.
- Dip fish into batter and deep-fry in batches until fillets turn golden and float to the surface. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve fish and chips with lemon wedges and salt.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL