Warm tomato tart with three cheeses
No longer do you need to cook separate meals just because a vegetarian is coming to dinner. Harvest Vegetarian offers easy recipes that will suit meat eaters and vegetarians alike. Vegans are catered for too, and it includes gluten-free recipes for all occasions - try savoury mushroom pancakes with English spinach sauce, goats cheese roulade or chocolate hazelnut torte.
Author Adam de Ath is a qualified chef and teacher of commercial cookery, and as owner and chef of Harvest Vegetarian Restaurant in Sydney for the past 14 years he's gained a great appreciation for the humble fruit 'n' veg.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|2 tbsp||Fresh oregano|
|¾ cup||Parmesan cheese|
|2||Eggs, for yolks|
|2 tbsp||Basil leaves|
|100 g||Gruyere cheese|
- Preheat oven to 180c. For the pastry, sift flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Use a mixer with a dough hook or rub in diced butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre, mix in 1 egg yolk then add water slowly until dough is pliable. Wrap and chill for 30 min..
- Roll out the pastry and line 4 greased and floured 10cm tins. Prick base evenly with a fork. Line tarts with baking paper and bake blind for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For the filling, cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and brush halves with olive oil and place on an oven tray. Lightly season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle with oregano and basil and lightly cover with some of the parmesan. Grill until light brown. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix mascarpone with 2 egg yolks, then fold in the grated gruyere and a little salt and pepper.
- To assemble, line tart shell with basil leaves. Place cheese mix on top. Cover again with basil leaves then place cooked tomatoes on top to cover. Sprinkle lightly with remaining parmesan and bake tarts for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with herb sprigs and serve warm with a rocket salad.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL