Roast beetroot and venison are a great match in this salad.
|1||Beetroot, (large or 4 small)|
|1||Olive oil, (to rub)|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|300 g||Venison, (fillets, 2x150g)|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|2||Tomatoes, (to 3 depending on size)|
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Rub the beetroot with olive oil. Place into a baking dish with a couple of stalks of fresh rosemary.
- Season and cook until tender, depending on the size - large beetroot can take up to 1 hour, small may only need 20 minutes. Just keep testing with a skewer until it is removed easily.
- Place the venison on a plate. Finely slice the chilli, removing the seeds if less heat is preferred. Crush the garlic and add to the chilli with the sugar and rub over the venison.
- Leave for 30 minutes then either cook on the barbecue or in a hot pan for approximately 3 minutes each side. Wrap with foil and let rest for a further 5 minutes.
- Whisk together 1 Tbs hazelnut oil with the juice of an orange, season. Slice the beetroot. Slice the venison and the tomatoes before arranging on a platter with salad greens if desired.