Avgolemono (Greek lemon and rice soup)
( SERVES 4 )
This is a real classic. It can be served as a light meal and has a creamy, tangy taste. It all sounds a bit strange when you first read the recipe but it works and is completely delicious.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|8 cups||Chicken stock|
|1 cup||Rice, or use orzo pasta|
|1 to taste||Cracked black pepper|
- Bring stock to a boil and add orzo or rice. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Season stock to taste with salt, if necessary.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they have medium peaks. In another bowl, mix the egg yolks and lemon juice together until combined.
- When the orzo or rice is finished, transfer 2 cups of the hot stock to the egg and lemon mixture, adding very slowly in a constant stream and beating vigorously to prevent the eggs from solidifying.
- Pour this mixture back into the pot and gently incorporate. Keep the heat very low. The soup will thicken as the egg cooks.
- Take the pot off the heat and add the beaten egg whites, whisking to incorporate. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.