Spiced Apple and Blackberry Pie with Butterscotch Sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Instead of blackberries, you could use a mixture of berryfruits. This pie uses the rich and flaky dough that is shortcrust pastry and it is perfect for a wide range of savoury and sweet dishes. The pastry freezes well, too, needing only 30 minutes to defrost.
Spiced apple & blackberries
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Peel, quarter and core the apples, then cut into small chunks similar in size to the blackberries. In a bowl, mix the apple, blackberries, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod, then stir them through the berries, reserving the pod for another use.
To prepare Shortcrust pastry:
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the cold butter and lard in small chunks, cut it into the flour with a small knife, then rub in using your fingertips until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs - don't use the food processor, as it takes only a couple of minutes and the process is extremely therapeutic.
- Sprinkle a little cold water over the crumbs and bring to a rollable dough (it should look slightly crumbly but firm enough to roll), adding more water if necessary. Cover the pastry with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half, then roll it out on a lightly floured kitchen bench. Line a 23cm tart case, leaving a good amount of pastry overhanging the edge.
- Tip the apple and blackberry mixture into the tart case, then roll out the second piece of pastry to make a lid for the pie. Wet the edge of the pastry rim and place the pastry lid over the pie, trimming off the edges and pressing down with your fingers to form a seal.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 1 hour or until the pastry is golden. Serve with butterscotch sauce.
To prepare Butterscotch Sauce:
- Simmer the ingredients in a saucepan for 3-5 minutes or until the butter and sugar have melted and the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and cool for at least 2 hours before using.