Strawberry and orange salad, Mascarpone, puff pastry and candied capsicums
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Jane Ussher
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the pastry sheets into rectangular shapes - 10cm x 5cm. They seem large but do shrink. Place the pastry onto a greased baking tray.
- Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the top of the pastry and cover with another flat baking tray. Bake in the oven until golden, then remove the top baking tray and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the pastries to a cooling rack away from draughts. Mix the mascarpone with the lime juice and zest and refrigerate.
- To assemble, slice each puff pastry rectangle into 3 pieces. Place the bottom slices in the centre of each plate and spread with mascarpone.
- Top with a layer of sliced strawberries, and place the middle layer of pastry on top.
- Spread with more mascarpone and carefully place the orange segments along the slice.
- Finally, place the last piece of pastry on top of the oranges and spoon the candied capsicums(4tbsps) over the top.
- Dust with icing sugar.
To prepare Candied capsicums:
- Combine the capsicums(finely chopped), sugar and cider in a heavy-based saucepan and heat gently until the mixture begins to caramelise. Do not stir the contents of the pot, otherwise they will crystallise. Remove from the heat and whisk in the juice of the orange and brandy.