Vermicelli noodle salad with tofu and peanuts
( SERVES 4 )
You can buy green mangoes, which are sour and very firm, in Asian grocery stores. They are a different variety to the ones you see in supermarkets. You can substitute a tart granny smith apple, cut into matchsticks, or a normal mango that is unripe.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|125 g||Dried vermicelli noodles|
|1 serving||Cornflour, for dusting|
|300 g||Tofu - firm, sliced 1cm thick|
|1 tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|1 cup||Purple cabbage, shredded|
|4||Spring onions, shredded|
|1||Green mango, flesh shredded|
|1 handful||Bean sprouts|
|½ cup||Mint leaves, torn|
|½ cup||Coriander, chopped|
|1||Red chilli, chopped (or more, depending on how hot you like it)|
|½ cup||Roasted peanuts, chopped|
|1||Shallot, finely chopped|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
|2 tsp||Fish sauce|
|2 tsp||Sesame oil|
|1 tbsp||Rice vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce|
|1 tbsp||Vegetable oil, or olive oil|
- Place vermicelli noodles in a large bowl or medium sized pot.
- Pour over boiling water, cover and stand for 5 minutes until noodles are soft.
- Drain and, using scissors, snip in a few places (to shorten the length of the noodle strands).
- Season cornflour with a little salt and black pepper. Dust both sides of tofu slices in seasoned cornflour.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and add tofu.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Arrange noodles, vegetables, herbs and tofu on plates and scatter over peanuts.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and spoon over just before serving.
- Toss everything together with your chopsticks before eating.