Grilled lamb, orange & mint bulgur salad and flat bread
( SERVES 4 )
Grilling lamb smells and tastes fantastic, especially paired with homemade flatbreads and a refreshing bulgur (cracked wheat) salad. Take a bit of time to prepare the flatbread: once the dough is done you can shape into any size you fancy, cook it and then warm it up on the grill when you're ready to eat. Either wrap the lamb and salad into it before eating or use the bread to scoop up the ingredients. These flavours always cry out for thick Greek-style yoghurt and a small spoonful of rich tahini to balance the meal.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|450 g||Strong flour|
|1 sachet||Active dried yeast, (7g)|
|½ tsp||Caster sugar|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|500 g||Lamb fillet|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|1 tbsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|1||Lemon, zested and juiced|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil, plus extra for grilling|
|2 tsp||Chilli, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
1. To make the flatbread; sift the flour into a bowl. Add the yeast, sugar, salt and olive oil with 1 cup of warm water. Stir, then mix together with your hands. Tip on to a floured surface and knead for five minutes or until smooth and elastic.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C. Divide the dough into four and roll out to 30cm long ovals. Place on an oiled baking tray and bake for five minutes. Turn over and repeat. Set aside, warming on a grill plate just before serving.
3. To prepare the lamb; marinate the lamb in the ingredients - this can be done two days in advance or two hours - depending on time available and how strong you wish the flavours to be. Heat the grill or barbecue and cook the lamb for about five minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Let rest for five minutes.
4. For the salad; put the bulgur into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Leave for 30 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Pour into a sieve and press down to extract any excess water. Tip the bulgur back into the empty bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. Cut the lamb into bite-sized pieces and serve on the flatbreads with the salad, tahini and yoghurt to serve.