Salmon with jersey benne potatoes and tomato and basil dressing
This dish, from Jo Elwin's stay at Kauri Cliffs Lodge, is by Dale Gartland and based around the wonderful salmon from the Mt Cook region, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and basil from Cromwell Gorge, and Bannockburn olive oil. A true South Island dish from the Matakauri menu.
(You can click on ingredients to see more related recipes)
|500 g||Potatoes, jersey benne, washed|
|1 head||Garlic, cut in half|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 dash||Chardonnay vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Olives, chopped|
|1 tbsp||Thyme, picked leaves|
|6 fillets||Salmon, 150g each|
Tomato and basil dressing
|1||Lemon, segments chopped|
|5 cups||Extra virgin olive oil, good quality|
|1 dash||Balsamic vinegar|
|3||Tomatoes, deseeded and diced|
|10||Basil leaves, ripped or julienned|
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the water, potatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and salt in a saucepan and boil until the potatoes are nearly cooked through, then drain and leave to air-dry for 20 minutes, peel the potatoes and place in a pan over a low heat.
- Lightly crush the potatoes with the olive oil, vinegar, chopped olives and picked thyme leaves and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm while cooking the salmon.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook salmon skin-side down for a couple of minutes, then flip over and cook another couple of minutes. You want your salmon a little pink in the centre.
- Serve with green beans or asparagus.
This dish is best matched with
$ VIEW DEAL