Colourful and easy to assemble, make this Summer Pudding a feature on your Christmas table.
|1 loaf||White sliced sandwich bread|
|700 g||Mixed berries, (fresh, if using frozen no more than 200g and dont use strawberries)|
|2 tsp||Lemons, (finely grated zest)|
|1 to serve||Thickened cream|
- Cut the crusts off the bread and line the dishes, starting with a disc in the base, then line the sides, reserve slices to form the lids.
- Put the water and sugar with all the fruit and zest in a saucepan and simmer. If using some frozen fruit, simmer until the fruit has thawed but if using all fresh fruit you need only to bring to a boil and then turn off.
- Tip fruit into a sieve, allowing the juice to drain into a bowl and let cool.
- Place the bowls on to a tray to catch any juices that spill over. Spoon the fruit into each bowl, then top up with a little juice so the filling looks wet. Place the bread lid on each, cover with some foil then a saucer topped with a weight such as a tin.
- Refrigerate overnight. To serve, remove weights, saucers and foil and carefully invert on to serving plates, spoon over any extra juice and serve with cream.